Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Really Bad . . .

Since beginning my business as a private investigator in Idaho, I have been dumbfounded, amazed, perplexed and disgusted by many of my so-called colleagues in the business. Before I go on, let me say this: In Idaho there is no licensing of private investigators, so here this "profession" has been tainted by many who could never obtain a license in another state, have no business being in the business, and would never pass a background investigation. I know for certain we have convicted felons who own PI businesses here in Idaho; one such individual was just arrested for dealing methamphetamine (he previously served time in prison for manslaughter). We have those who claim prior law enforcement experience yet refuse to provide verifiable information about their alleged experience.

Yesterday a would-be client who had first contacted me, then shopped for a better price, called frantically telling me about the investigator she hired who talked her into providing all of her personal information so he could get into her computer and "crack" the passwords and codes of her boyfriend, whom she expected was cheating on her. She had since noticed he had taken over her computer and was concerned about his intentions. The investigator would not return her calls now and in an email indicated he needed more money to complete his task.

Why do I care? Because I continually receive new clients who have been ripped off by other investigators. So good for me, right? Maybe, to that degree. But I still detest crooks. I always have and in fact, I dedicated more than two decades filling prisons with the same type of people I now know as "colleagues." Not to mention my time is my money and much (uncompensated) time is spent providing those who have been burned with the information they need to protect themselves.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great PI's in Idaho and probably the majority of them are honest, decent people. But to avoid civil litigation, I won't name the good or the bad. The point is there are those who are really bad, but I can't tell you who they are. I hope you find the good ones. Let me give you a few hints:

- Choose investigators with verifiable experience.

- Choose investigators who are open about the idenitities and their backgrounds. Avoid the "cloak and dagger" types; they are often the police or spy wannabes.

- Ask for references of professionals such as attorneys or business owners.

- Interview several and use common sense when hiring an investigator. You wouldn't settle for the cheapest surgeon or lawyer; don't hire a low-budget investigator.

This is the second article I have authored about the subject. I hope it helps you make good choices.

Danny R. Smith
DRS Investigations, Idaho
L.A. Sheriff's Homicide, Ret.
www.drsinvestigations.com

No comments: